This tower is easily visible from the roadside, in a ruined churchyard. There is a carpark here, but the road entrance is very narrow -- pay attention to the signs! It's only about a mile out of Navan.
Donaghmore round tower was originally part of a monastery here (reputed to be started by St. Patrick, and called Domnach-mor muighe Echnach).The tower is in quite good shape, having been restored in 1841, according to a plaque, and when OPW took over the site only minimal repairs to the roof were needed.
This tower is 26m tall, including the existing cap roof and nearly 5m across. The doorway faces east and there are four windows -- all normal detail for a round tower of this sort. It dates from the 10th century, and at least some references note that it is clearly dated after that at Kells.
The churchyard is lovely, with the ruines of the church wall still standing.
lost in ireland 2005 travelogue and photos © rfingerson